Monday, May 28, 2007

8N more success !


This is what I did before breakfast today – after sloshing through the rain to my Tractor Building .


Last night I could not get the battery case back into place because the part which covers the steering mechanism was shifted about 1/16 inch too low. I am sure it has been this way for many years.

This morning I loosened bolts holding the steering housing to the frame, squirted with Parts Blaster, and used a Sears pry bar at least two feet long to lever the housing up that 1/16 inch so the bolts would enter the holes. Some time ago I bought a set of pry bars because they were on sale and I thought they would be needed at some time to work on the tractors. It seems I also bought extension shafts for a ½ inch air tool and used one of those to get my 3/8 inch air wrench onto the battery case bolts and the steering housing bolts I loosened. A third arm would have been handy, but I managed. I coated the bolts with plenty of moly grease before tightening them in place. One of the bolts required me to re-cut the threads toward the head as the bolt had been under a lot of wear from that housing for years.

Anyway, as you can see in the pictures, the battery case is in place. I glued washers over the protruding rivets rather than cut them off.

Next… drain the oil, remove the governor and replace parts I bought to refurbish it. Actually it is a partial kit at about half the cost of a full rebuild kit (which is itself half the cost of a rebuilt governor). It seems I bought a parts cleaning tank which holds 20 gallons from Harbor freight just for the governor and all the other stuff I am going to be replacing, repairing, rebuilding, re-installing, and any other "re" I come across in my adventures.

Yes, this is what I do for fun, exercise, and mental challenge. By the way, we have had almost the average annual rainfall already and half that has happened in the past week. Boating anyone?

Tractor Boy


No comments:

Google