Thursday, January 29, 2009

Running Cub

‘Tis a fine day in Central Texas. The air is 35 degrees and it is sunny, with a cool North wind. It is a perfect day to go for a drive on the 1949 Farmall Cub. That is just what I did. I saw it had not leaked gasoline anywhere so I disconnected the six volt battery charger and connected the negative battery cable. I managed to touch the battery box while snugging the cable and threw a nice spark which told me both that the battery is charged and to be more careful. Then I climbed aboard using the clever step device dangling from the platform, pulled the choke, pulled the ignition switch, and then the starter. The old Cub started right away and soon I had figured out how to give it just enough choke to keep it going while it warmed up. We backed into the yard and went for a drive ‘round and ‘round we went in second gear, making about five laps of the back yard. I stopped it in the sun to take pictures and to “bleed” the hydraulic system. That thing howled and squealed and scared me quite a bit. Then it settled down and was pretty quiet. I am guessing the air is out of the lines and the inner works are lubricated again.

 

We drove around a few more times and then back to the Tractor Building. Shift to first gear and slowly through the door to its standing place. I pushed in the ignition switch, climbed down, and shut off the fuel at the fuel filter. It looks good, runs well, irritates the dogs, throws coolant from the broken JB Weld connection, but hold its gas and oil as well as hydraulic fluid and gear oil. It runs!!!! Yes, it is a good day.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google