Friday, November 26, 2010

Deer hunting ammunition

 

November 6 2010 was opening day for deer hunting in the part of Texas where I live. I shot two small does from a field near Lampasas. The rifle is a CZ 550 in 6.5X55 millimeter Mauser caliber. I loaded the cartridges with 140 grain hunting bullet. This first deer dropped immediately. The second and smaller deer ran about 70 yards after being hit, then fell over. One thing I do is check beyond the deer to make sure there is no other animal or house in line with the bullet after it passes through the deer.

 

November 13 I decided to load some 30-06 ammunition so my daughter  will have some to shoot a deer or five. I used a premium Nosler 150 grain ballistic tip boat tailed bullet, Lake City MATCH brass which was unfired, CCI primers for the Garand, and IMR 4895 powder. Obviously these can be used in a Garand since that powder is the original Garand powder (new, of course). I made her fifty cartridges so she will have plenty for the range to sight in and have fun, and plenty for the deer. In truth, it takes one shot per deer if one aims well. Loading was sort of fun. I cleaned the brass twice, checked case length for every case, hand primed, and weighed each and every powder charge. They vary plus or minus 1/10 grain from the 47 grain goal. The brass was 1962 surplus I bought at some time or other. I am guessing the bullet will move at about 2750 fps which is in Garand velocity range. Modern deer loads run 2800-2900 fps, but I am certain the deer cannot tell the difference and the range is not more than 305 yards at the most although the deer are typically 60 yards away when shot.

 

Tractor Boy

 

No comments:

Google