Saturday, January 15, 2011

Farmall Cub Switch Replacement






It was a cold, wet, dreary day in Central Texas. Perfect weather in which to replace the light switch I replaced last week. The first replacement was blowing a 20 amp fuse in less than a second when turned to the farthest right position. Fortunately I had added a separate fuse holder to the circuitry when the replacement did not have a fuse position. I spoke with the nice folk at Farmall Cub Forever and ordered a three position six volt switch which arrived a few days ago. This time I took pictures so you can see what I was doing. Again I replaced one wire at a time. The switch has a protrusion which fits in a notch in the console and I replaced it so the two were properly aligned.

 

I discovered it was easier to take the console off this time and I did not need a small monkey to reach in the confined space.  I did; however, forget that I placed a piece of board between the hydraulic housing and the hood/fuel tank. So when I started up the Cub to see how well it would run, there was an extra part, wooden of course, under the hood. Well… I now have head lights which burn dim and bright. I did not attempt to include the tail light as I am going to put a switch for it somewhere so the tail light is not always on when the head lights are on. What I noticed is that the ammeter, which is in the charging range and steady as can be with the lights off, goes into the discharge range and flutters rapidly and wildly when either dim or bright lights are on. I will seek the wisdom of those who know what that means. It cannot be good.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google