Friday, June 24, 2005

8N makes more progress

This evening I got a few minutes to work on the 8N again. This time I replaced the Proof Meter (tachometer), added a gas gauge which is like the one riding mowers have – a float extends into the gas tank and sort of tells the gas level when the vehicle is still. I would have replaced the steering wheel, but so far have not figured out how to get the old one off. I removed the center nut and used some Parts Blaster liquid to loosen the fifty-three years of rust. No luck this evening.

I drove the tractor around the yard, enjoying both the new ammeter (which I think I have wired correctly now) and the Proof Meter. I also greased everything I found that had a grease fitting. I found a few more after I ran out of grease in one of the grease guns. I have two full size grease guns and a new air powered one which I have not yet used. The one grease gun is empty now.

Tomorrow I will work on the Ford 640 and remove the rear wheels and fenders to paint them, hopefully remove the gas tank and add a fuel shut off and tank filter AND stop that leak on top of the engine. I can add fender decals to both tractors and might get the hood for the 640 finally repaired and back on that tractor. It has been a long time on it and I want to get it back together again. Lorenzo said he will help me tomorrow. He is a great painter and has muscles to help with the tires which weigh about 200 pounds each if they have no water in them. The 640 needs a new muffler which I have in my tractor stock. I will adjust the points and probably will have to adjust the carburetor since the tractor had a very clogged air filter and may have had the carburetor adjusted to compensate for not cleaning the air filter. I bought a copy of an original ground wire and will put it on the 640 as I can't use it on the 8N since it is a 12 volt system now and the battery post is too far from where it was on a six volt system. I do have a new battery box for the 8N and will paint it red tomorrow and get it on soon.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google