Saturday, August 23, 2008

Cub wiring

The wiring harness of the ’49 Cub is now replaced along with two other wires. One of them went from the GEN terminal of the Cutout Relay to the A terminal of the generator, while the other went from the distributor to one side of the coil. The first was too thin, about 20 gauge so I replaced it with ten gauge wire. The second was old and also seemed thin so I replaced it too with a bit thicker wire. When I put on the ends to the wire, I do what I learned from my father which is to solder the connection in addition to crimping it.

 

The wiring diagram in the owner’s manual did not match what was actually on my tractor. It seems the old Cub has a Cutout Relay instead of a Voltage Regulator and all my standard sources displayed the VR. Once again the Farmall Cub Gurus of www.yesterdaystractor.com helped tremendously. The best help was to a site set up by Farmall Bob which had diagrams of the electrical system of old Farmalls. One was exactly what I had in front of me. As I replaced each wire, I cleaned each contact and added a washer wherever there was none, then I used my ohm meter to verify that every wire was making good contact at each end of the circuit.

 

In 1949, at least some Cubs had a four position light switch just like mine. The positions were labeled L H D B which stands for “Low charge”, “High charge”, “Dim” and “Bright”. I have now color coded my diagram to match the color of wires on my wiring harness. It has been a good two days. A bonus was referral to another helpful site www.farmallcub.com which has helpful information in its forum, including a “book” on line with helpful hints. I started reading there and have learned something already.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google