Sunday, July 16, 2006

tractor work (cont.)

Picture 1423 shows the last of the row of stumps. In the foreground is the sub soiler device which I was about to remove and replace with a bar and chain to try dragging the stumps from the ground. 1425 is the fence line showing grooves made by the sub soiler on the 8N tractor. I hope I did not get anything vital other than bushes. J I hosed off the mud when I switched to a bar with clevis loop for the three point hitch.

Picture 1426 is a close up of the meter on the tractor. I replaced the broken one with a new one and have put 3.4 hours on the engine since then. Most of the engine time has been the fence and bush project done recently.

1428 shows the doors on my tractor building. The actual color is tan, not gray. The doors slide. Yes, they are two different sizes!

1432 shows the bar and chain attached to the last of the stump. It was three times that size and really stopped the tractor cold when using the sub soiler. I managed to jerk the stumps free using the chain wrapped around them. As soon as the chain slipped off, I would reverse and set it more underneath the stump. In three tries, the stumps were history. The chain with clevis hooks is the best that Tractor Supply Company sells.

After the stumps came out I decided to pull out the horizontal fence which I laid on the ground up against the vertical fence some 23 years ago with the help of my son. 1433 shows why you avoid coming too close to the PTO when it is running. I managed to back up, get the wire fence snagged by the PTO and end up with a lot of steel wrapped around the PTO. Fortunately I own at least one bolt cutter (I may have two) and used it to free the PTO. Had that been a loose shirt, the arm would have been mangled. Many a farmer has been there. I am extra careful and still it happened. Guess I better be extra extra careful.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google