Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Farmall Cub carb and oil

The past few days I have been working on my Jan 1949 Farmall Cub tractor. I replaced the oil filter which was made of cardboard with one from NAPA with a metal body.  Pic 1264 shows the oil drain location on the right side of the engine. 1268 shows the oil drained, and 1269 shows the old oil filter. The oil was a bit dirty, but much, much cleaner than the black oil I drained from the 8N Ford. The oil filter reservoir cap needed cleaning and painting so I took care of that too. A dental pick was used to scrape off mu7ch of the dirt, followed by a small steel brush. Then a coat of primer and two coats of Farmall red made a pretty looking cap.

 

It is a good thing I have tools! A set of used dental picks, several small brushes, a cleaning tank, left handed drill bits, and finally a can of carburetor cleaned were all used to clean and restore the carburetor. Tractor Supply sells a kit for the IH carburetor on the 59 year old tractor. Pic 1261 shows the carburetor as removed from the Cub. Pic 1262 shows the beginning of the cleaning process. Pic 1270 is just before dipping in the cleaner solution. Pic 1271 is after I finally got that stuck screw out. The head got twisted out of shape. Penetrating oil did not free it, so I used Dye Chem to paint the groove, then a dial caliper to mark the midpoint, a hole starter followed by several left handed drill bits to drill enough through the screw that I could remove it.

 

Pic 1272 shows the bolts which secure the carburetor to the manifold. I used a dies to re-cut the threads, and even used taps to refresh the threads in the carburetor body. Pic 1273 is the reassembled carburetor and the oil filter can cap. It all looks good to me. Pic 1274 shows the governor link installed. Much of the time I had to improvise for screws. My local hardware store had the best looking replacement screws for the body of the carburetor and my own supply had the one to tighten the link onto the governor butterfly. Pic 1275 is the other side of the carburetor. The dental picks and much patient scraping got most of the old paint off the carburetor, but that can of liquid carburetor cleaner dissolved the remaining paint, dirt, grease, and anything else that had not been removed earlier. Pic 1276 is the carburetor back on the tractor. Obviously I need to replace the short piece of hose to the air cleaner. It was dry rotted, yet still tough to get it off the air cleaner pipe.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google