Saturday, November 1, 2008

Flushing the Cub Radiator

This morning I got out and drained the Cub radiator, collecting the fluid in a big bucket from Home Depot. Once that was done I added the flushing chemical and filled the radiator with water then started the engine to run the stuff through for ten minutes. At about the ten minute mark the auxiliary gas tank (fancy name for a used tank from a small lawn mower) ran dry. I let the engine cool down some and drained that concoction into the same large “Homer” bucket, then added a gallon of antifreeze and enough water to fill the radiator.

This afternoon I drove it around for a while, managing to lose one of the battery caps for a time. I drove to the mailbox which is 600 feet from my house then drove to show one of my neighbors the Cub, all told about a half mile of driving. The Cub performed well so I put it back in the Tractor Building to rest while I begin the next phase. That involved painting the hydraulic pump which mounts to the front of the engine. After it dries it will get a second coat and then be attached to the Cub along with the hydraulic lift and the metal lines. The auxiliary gas tank is mounted right where the hydraulic lift goes so it will come off the Cub and the hood with gas tank will go on. I still need to put the fuel filter on the bottom of the gas tank and expect that to be straight forward.

The battery has been resting on a block of wood in the bottom of the battery box. The wood comes out and two straps will replace it so I can get the battery out since I have a one piece battery box instead of the open front which appears to be much more common. I can cut a notch for the correct battery cable which I have, then put all that on and put the top of the battery box in place. Almost done then. Decals to go on the tractor is about the last. Of course that depends on whether the headlights work which would be a fortunate surprise. It depends on the quality of ground between the hood and the hood frame.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google