Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Knobs and 8N Tractor


This is really two stories:

Tractor Girl wanted new knobs on her folding doors that enclose the washer and dryer. The originals are at the point of closure, so she wanted some at the fold to better control the doors. I could have gone to a hardware store or even Wally World and bought a couple wooden or plastic knobs. Instead I decided to make some from T-6 (6061) aluminum. I cut off a length of ¾ inch aluminum rod. (pic 24) Using my little lathe, I turned it to about .338 inches, center drilled it, bored it with a quarter inch drill held in the tail stock, and threaded it ¼ X 20. (pic 25). Of course I turned the outside to make it pretty then cut it off using a cutting tool. (pic 26). The finished knob (pic 21) and the knob on the door (pic 27). When I got done I measured the knobs and found they were not the same size! One is .008 inches longer than the other. They are far enough apart on the doors that the casual passer by will not notice. A person with a good electronic caliper or micrometer in hand will be barred from that part of the house.

The second story was even more fun. I drove the 8N, which started easily, to the front of the house where I used my pressure washer to blast off some grease and generally clean the tractor. After I dried it some I put it away and along comes my four year old grand daughter Aleia who asked to ride the tractor. So, I started it up again with Aleia sitting on the seat in front of me, backed it out of the Tractor Building, and we proceeded to drive it across the back yard. We drove to our private road, then West to 60th street with Aleia steering some of the time. At the main street I looked to make sure no cars were coming and we pulled onto the street to make a U turn. Then we drove east back to our yard, swung into the drive way and under the trees where Grandma (Nancy) waved and we waved back. We turned North to drive through the back yard and, making a wide turn past the struggling black berry bushes, we drove into the Tractor Building (in first gear). We shut the 8N down and secured the building. What fun! The round trip was at least 1,800 feet.

Since I rebuilt the carburetor and the governor, replaced the throttle plate, cleaned the air cleaner and replaced its filter (with something I made), and changed oil as well as hydraulic fluid, greased the fittings, and aired the new tires, the 8N runs like a high strung pony. Previously I ran with throttle wide open. Now I have not run the throttle half way open. I also straightened the choke rod a bit and it now returns to open position automatically instead of needing to be pushed open once the engine is running. I do like these old tractors!!! J

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google