Saturday, May 31, 2008

8N head lights and emblem

Today I decided to do my best to mount the head lights on the 8N Ford. Ibought them in 2005 and fortunately they did not spoil while waiting in thedark closet to be mounted. Some purists would say in 1952 the 8N had a roundlight bracket on the hood dog leg. Others such as I say we like the look ofthe wing bracket. Of course those of us who like it also get to likedrilling a hole for the rear screw post of the wing to pass through the dogleg and allow it to fit flush. I used increasingly larger drill bits until Igot the hole just the right size.


With a little trial and some error, I found that I could reach under thehood better if I removed the distributor cap. It is much easier on the leftside of the tractor. Once I got them mounted then the real fun began. UsingOEM wiring harness, I experimented to figure out how to get power to thelights. At first it did not work and then I realized since this tractor hasa negative ground I needed to run the battery wire from the positive post tothe light switch. It worked!

From there it was figuring where to run the wires and how to connect them to the short wire from each head light. I didnot have any of the original harness retaining clips so I used 1950s stylenylon ties. :-) Fortunately I found a few holes in the gas tank bracket ofthe hood and was able to get the pull ties through the holes and secured theharness. It sure seems to be a generous amount of wire. When I was finishedI tried the lights again and both worked.
The front emblem is the earlier version which is baked enamel, I think. By1952 a cheaper aluminum emblem was being used. I like the earlier one. Thatemblem did require some drilling too. Next time I need to hire a smartmonkey with small hands to be able to reach into the cramped spaces to usethe tools. Not having any kind of monkey, I used the fine SEARS stubbywrenches and removed a piece or two of both the tractor and me in theprocess.


The 8N looks good, runs well, operates as it should. By Wednesday I willhave a new set of decals for the 8N and will add the hood Ford name as wellas a few more where I have painted. I have a muffler in the same dark closetthe lights were in. I will look to see whether the 8N is in need of one. Assoon as the decals are on, it will be time for a movie of the tractor movingalong.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google