Tuesday, June 10, 2008

8N reassembly


Last night and very early this morning I put on my paint-proof breathing mask and had a go at the 8N Ford rear half with Ford Red paint. This evening I began the two hour process of reassembling the fenders to the tractor. It took so long because there are two attachments for anti-sway bars that fasten beneath the axle and are held by the two fender bolts. Also, one of the bolts, which appear to be 9/16 inch size was reluctant to accept the nut. Even though I dabbed good grease in the nut, that one resisted. So, like any good home mechanic, I reached for my tap and die set. The largest size I had was ½ inch. The next step was to hold the carriage bolt (that is what it is) in my brass jawed vice and use a wrench to screw the nut onto the bolt. That did it.

Picture 55 shows the tractor painted with the plastic still draped over the rear wheels. Picture 57 shows the left fender with the light bracket attached. About that light bracket. The upper part takes a 7/16 carriage bolt and I could not find one at Tractor Supply, Lowe's, or Home Depot. I ordered an OEM bolt, nut and washer from Phil's Tractor Supply, then found the same thing for one fifth the cost at the local mom and pop hardware store in town. Hardware always comes in handy. J

I bought ten feet of ¼ inch ID copper tubing from Home Depot. I plan to run three wires through it from the dash area to the tail light bracket. That way I can have a wire each for the tail light and future work light, plus a genuine ground wire if I have issues with the return flow of the current. The N series ground to the body of the tractor and I think paint makes a pretty good insulator. I am surprised my head lights work as well as they do!

Next… to get one anti-sway bar straightened a bit. Then tail light, and remove the hood to paint it more and paint eh front end of the 8N. Did I say it runs like a pony? I plan to drive it to church for the Vacation Bible School party in about two weeks. Two years of part time effort is coming to a close. Of course I have two more old Ford tractors to rebuild so I have plenty to do.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google