Sunday, June 8, 2008

8N new pix

Pix 42-45 show parts of the steering gear box. The access to add 90 weight gear oil is behind a strong steel brace which must be removed or a hole bored through it to get to that plug (pic 46) The adjustment screws on each side of the steering gear box are used to take slack from the steering. The nut through which the screw passes is first loosened, then the screw is tightened. I used a big car jack to raise the front end of the tractor off the floor so I could feel whether the adjustment was right and not too tight.

Picture 49-50 show before and after painting. The old tractor is not really that bad. I want it to look better so am working on it. Pic 54 shows the rear of the tractor where I started to paint and am now cleaning and priming before painting. This is before priming.

Pic 53 shows the tail light bracket installed and painted to match the left fender. Because I own a milling machine, I was able to elongate two bottom holes on the bracket and thus get the top hole to align with the fender hole. I could have used a round file, but the mill was available, easy to use, better to control the hole size and shape.

I will have this tractor back together this week so it can participate in a kick off for Vacation Bible School this next Sunday. I am not sure whether to drive it to the church or borrow a trailer and haul it there. I think driving may be more fun, just slower. By the way, the 8N gets better gas mileage than my Nissan Titan truck. I guess it weighs less too.

8N tractor work was not all I did today, of course. I fished three chairs from the swimming pool. They were blown into the pool by those 50 MPH winds we had.

I hired two men to work in my yard, removing brush and mowing. Maybe we will cut trees this coming week end. I helped a little and made sure they had plenty of cool water while they were working.

Tractor Girl bought some images for her embroidery machine. I got to down load them, convert to a format for her machine, and move them to her thumb drive.


Finally, I prepared the sermon for tomorrow since I am subbing for our preacher. Oh, yes, really last… I wrote this piece.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google