Thursday, June 19, 2008

Wednesday madness













Previously I discovered the Position Control lever was bent. This 8N must have had a hard life. Picture 62 shows the bent lever. After removing it from the tractor, I pounded it straight against a piece of "I beam" left over from construction of the over head lift. Pic 66 shows the straightened and painted lever back on the 8N. It is pinned in place by a 3/16 X 1 inch flat rivet.



I got out early this morning and washed off as much grease and dirt as I intended to, then went back later and painted red paint on the red portions of the 8N. It looks good, and even better from a distance. Pic 68 and 70 are the before pictures and pic 71 and 72 show after painting.



Later I decided to clean up the front wheel nuts and paint them. Five of them had to be replaced because they were broken around the leading edge of the nut. I cleaned off the old paint and rust with a steel brush, then used a ½ X 20 tap to refresh the threads. Still later I used a similar sized die to refresh threads part way on the wheel lugs. It must have been close to a hundred degrees or more in the Tractor Building so I did not stay at it all the way on any of the lugs. My air hammer can make up the difference, I am sure.



I had not yet collapsed from the heat so decided to add the tail light brace to the rear bracket and then the tail light to the brace. Well… the special nut and bolt would not go together and once that was corrected, one of the ¼ X 28 bolts would not screw into its location on the tail light. I am glad I have tools. I fixed it and it is on. Pic 73 shows the tail light on the 8N.



The wheel nuts got a few squirts of red paint and I am in the house. At 1930 it is still 95 degrees outside.



Tractor Boy


No comments:

Google