Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cub Rear Grease Leak

The gaskets I made for the Cub rear end which hold 90 weight gear oil were leaking. I decided to go ahead and remove the half moon gear cover and put some silicon grease on both sides of the home made gasket. This is the right side gasket and I tore it while removing it. I used rubber cement to attach the gasket the first time. After making a new gasket today I used an automotive (or tractor) silicon sealer. Tomorrow after it has dried I will cut out the center part and apply the silicon to the top side then reassemble to the tractor. After that the left side will be fixed. Once the silicon has had twenty-four hours to cure the 90 weight gear oil will be replaced and I hope all will be well. If this does not actually solve the leak then I may go to cork which was the original gasket material instead of the rubberized fiber material I used. Yes, I could buy replacement gaskets; however, I can make them too.

 

It has become cooler so it is easy to get out there in my Tractor Building and work. Fall is a good time. Deer season opens the first weekend of November and there is a nice (for Central Texas) buck which escaped me last year. Maybe this year he will be bigger and have a better rack. I hunt with a bolt action CZ 550 rifle in 6.5X55mm which is my favorite cartridge. Of course I load my own.

 

Tractor Boy

 

No comments:

Google