Thursday, June 14, 2007

8N Starter and Solenoid

Today I tried an experiment. I removed the cable from the starter. It goes to the starter solenoid. Then I ran a 12 volt battery cable from the positive post of the battery and touched that post on the starter. The starter turned over just like it is supposed to. So now I know the starter is good. I took an ohm meter and checked the starter switch, starter button, and small wires from the solenoid to the ammeter. All were sound. The starter button made a connection when I pressed it down which is just what it is supposed to do. So I now know for certain the problem is the starter solenoid itself.


What I do not know for sure is whether a six volt solenoid will work with a 12 volt system? That is the question. I will go out to the net and see if there is a 12 volt starter solenoid with three posts. If there is not, then I will replace the dead solenoid with the six volt new one that is in the box in picture 413. Picture 412 is the solenoid. Picture 411 is the starter showing the post I put full 12 volt positive connection to.

Tractor Boy



No comments:

Google