Tuesday, June 26, 2007

coil

I bought a six volt ignition coil at NAPA . The guy at the store said he sells very few although he used to live in a farming community in Wisconsin and sold many of those six volt coils. Before I put it on I am going to check the wiring – actually make a drawing of the wiring on the 8N. Also, I will check the voltage going to the coil to make sure it is okay. I have already cleaned the wire ends which go onto the coil as well as others and removed the switch someone put on the tractor years ago to cut off electricity to the coil which I am sure was to stop the engine and one solution to poor wiring design. I am half tempted to take the tractor back to six volts, but that would mean getting larger battery cables such as one or two gauge wire that is thicker than twelve volt cables are. For now I will take the time to trace the wires and draw what is there. I will be amazed if the tractor is properly wired now, but it will be by the time I am done with it.

Later I can and will renew the carburetor, but first get the ignition right. That will probably mean I check the point gap. I do not recall whether I replace the points and condenser on this tractor. I have done it on either this or the 640 so I have some knowledge how to do it. I enjoy the challenge and it keeps me from running the streets. J I know I am close on this 8N and want to get it done so I can tackle the 640 which is partially apart and has been for maybe a year.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google