Monday, July 16, 2007

8N progress

This evening I decided to see whether the 8N Ford tractor would start since I refurbished the carburetor this week end.

It started right up. I needed to adjust the fuel mixture for both the idle and the main fuel. I did and it ran better. Starts like a real champ! There are still a few more adjustments to make to the fuel mixtures. Also, the idle speed screw is very close to hot engine parts and I managed to get it set much too fast. It is supposed to run at 400 rpm on lowest setting. That needs tweaking it was going at 1000 rpm because I miss-read the tachometer (called a Proof Meter by Ford). Also, I noted that part of the exhaust pipe is loose so I will remove a collar and reset it. It needs that anyway – more "chimp" work on the tractor before I got it. It is closer and closer to a like-new 55 year old tractor. I really enjoy working on it and restoring it! Lots more to do such as lights, cleaning, paint job, decals, hood name plate.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google