Saturday, July 28, 2007

Rebuild 8N throttle to governor

Today I decided to remove the "bracket" which attaches the throttle rod from the governor and rebuild the bolt which holds the bracket to the throttle rod at the steering column. I saw too much slack in the operation and watched the "bracket" not move when the throttle was being adjusted. I wanted to tighten that linkage so the throttle would be more responsive and be able to maximize the distance the governor to throttle arm would move. I am still seeking to get as close to 2,000 rpm as this old tractor will go.

It was not clear to me whether the ¼ inch thick carriage bolt holding the "bracket" to the throttle rod was original. It is too long and a huge challenge to get it in place and especially to remove it. I decided to shorten the length. While at it, I found a ¼ inch hex head bolt which had some of its shaft unthreaded. That could give better contact surface with the notch in the throttle shaft and help tighten the connection. In looking at the contact with the left side of the bracket it seemed the design could be improved so I did. I also improved the design of the carriage bolt at its head to get more close fitting. As long as I have a Dremel tool and plenty of cutting wheels as well as grind stones, it is not too difficult. I used a die set to clean up the threads and actually to add a couple threads to the hex head bolt.

It is back on the 8N with the hex head bolt in place of the carriage bolt.

Tractor Boy



No comments:

Google