Monday, July 2, 2007

electricion

Today I bought a diode and some of those circular end pieces (a Radio Shack sample) then got to work on the wiring of the 8N. I cleverly forgot to mark the position of the top bracket for the alternator so I could easily put it back with the correct tension on the belt. Oops. Anyway, I bought an alternator plug which goes onto P1 and P2 then soldered the diode to P1 and a ring thingy to the P2 wire which happens to be red. I then shifter wires from the ammeter to the switch ends and think I have it correct. I will go out later and put the alternator back in place then hook up the wires that go there. If the diode quits then next time I may wire further up the line. I can hardly wait to see what happens. I call it the "smoke test". If it smokes then it was connected wrong. In the instructions left by the fellow who answered my query, he said to put the resistor and P1 on the same side of the switch. I am not sure why and it was easier to put them on opposite sides so that is what I did. I refer to the ignition switch. Using my trusty multi-meter, I checked to make sure the connection were good and that I had moved the correct wires. Now I have one fewer wire on the ammeter than I did before. P1 is no longer going there. In theory I will see the ammeter move when the machine is charging. If it goes in the wrong direction I will simply switch the wires around.

Life is interesting, anyway. If all goes well electrically, including the voltage to the coil, then I can start working on the carburetor to clean it. I am going to check the points too since I am pretty sure I did not replace or check those on the 8N. I did it on one of the tractors and I do believe it was the 640.

It rained a bit today again. Not a storm, just a drizzle, but the yard is too wet to mow the grass. My yard is muddy. Very unusual for this time of year. We are supposed to get rain through Friday. Usually we get about 2 inches of rain in all of June; however, we got six inches this year. My grass is tall.

Tractor Boy


No comments:

Google