Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wednesday musings

In the midst (who talks like this anymore?) of cleaning up stuff I carried some more ammo back to the Tractor Building, soldered a broken wire on my grand daughter's electronic fairy wand, and started the 8N. The most important event was the soldering. J The 8N was second in import to me. Anyway, to make a short story long, I was attempting to start and run it with the fuel shut off so I could drain the gas from the fuel line to the carburetor before removing the carb to refurbish it. I guess the vacuum is such that the tractor will run just a short time – measured in seconds before it quits. After a while I gave up. At least I know the old 8N will start. It is too, too muddy to drive the tractor still. I guess it will be two or three more days before enough ground water either drains off or evaporates so I can actually drive the 8N. Mean time I can remove and service the carburetor.

There is an oil leak, apparently related to the governor so I wonder whether I did not get enough old seal off the housing or the tractor before reassembling the governor to the tractor. I will keep an eye on it and see if I can pin point the leak. Mean time I put a pan under the leak to keep it off the floor.

I was sure I had some 90 weight gear oil for the steering column, but so far have not found it. I am pretty sure I bought some as I can picture the container. Guess I can buy another container which is often how I find missing stuff – replace it and put the new next to the missing item while saying. "Oh, there it is!".

Time to get back to sorting stuff and getting it off the bedroom floor. I have enjoyed being out sick even with a sore throat from strep bacteria. The humidity is high and perspiration is great right now…

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google