Friday, September 5, 2008

Farmall Carburetor and Ignition Knob

The carburetor was dripping gasoline yesterday after I stopped the engine. The leak is somewhere among three parts – the float, the needle valve which the float moves, and the seat for that needle valve. I drained the gasoline from the carburetor and cleaned the seat, the needle, and then adjusted the float so it has a bit more upward pressure on the needle. When I run the Cub again I will find out whether the adjustment was enough. The idle adjusting needle (there is only one adjusting needle on this simple carburetor) is open 1 ½ times. I will check the manual to learn whether that may be too much. I recall reading it is opened one full turn and then adjusted once the engine is warmed up.

 

Today I remembered to put the ignition knob on the ignition switch. The operating instructions are written on the face of the knob using an indelible marker. The knob screwed right on and I snugged it by holding the stem of the switch with needle nose pliers as I rotated the knob. It is tight and works just as it should.

 

The fuel line was too close to the curved tail pipe so I used a couple of twist’em ties to move it along the engine away from the exhaust pipe. I do not want the hose to lay against the exhaust and melt thus spilling hot gasoline on the hot exhaust. That might be too exciting.

 

Once I can borrow a trailer, I can take the Cub to Oscar the radiator man in town who can silver solder the over flow tube from the radiator. I am not ready to use a torch myself. Too many bad memories from the Vietnam war. I will have Oscar flush the radiator too. I could do it myself; however, he has 25 years experience and likely has access to chemicals and knowledge which I do not have.

 

In the next two days electrical parts will arrive so I can replace the light bulbs and lens gaskets for the three lights on this old Cub. The tail light will be the first to be tested as it is on the tractor. The other two lights are on the side of the hood which will not be put on until the radiator is repaired and the hydraulic system mounted. That last requires the hood to be out of the way.

 

Tractor Boy

 

No comments:

Google