Monday, September 15, 2008

Cub Runs Again

This evening at twilight I opened the doors to the Tractor Building. The Cub started right away and with a little adjusting of the carburetor and throttle it warmed enough to keep running (on the third try) so I backed out of the building. I took a few pictures of the tractor as it ran. Among them is a good picture of the carburetor showing the choke on the left and the idle adjustment on the top right. Even more important is the one showing the oil pressure gauge with its pointer to the far right. Seems like plenty of oil pressure. Actually it is enough that it forced a bit of oil around the copper washer on top of the oil filter case. Another important picture shows the ammeter indicating the generator is charging the battery. Note that the generator and light switch is set on H for “high charge”. When set on L “low charge” it was not noticeably charging at the particular engine speed. The other three pictures show the running Cub (engine is running, anyway). The makeshift bracket for the coil is clearly visible. The left front view seems to indicate the fan is not turning; however, the reddish blur below horizontal fan blade is another fan blade. That engine is running right along.

 

Shifting into second gear I drove to the side of the property where I have a few gas containers. A near tragedy happened there. I shut off the engine to add gasoline to the little plastic lawn mower tank mounted above the clutch housing. When I began to pour the gasoline, I noted a split in the neck of the pout spout – just as gas splashed onto the hot exhaust pipe with a loud hiss as it met the pipe. Quickly I stopped pouring and waited for disaster. When it did not catch fire, I removed the neck off the gas container and poured directly into the little gas tank. Once that was done, the Cub started up and I drove it through the front yard, around the West side of the house, and back to the Tractor Building. Slipping the gear shift to first gear and advancing the throttle, the little Cub easily climbed the incline and returned to its place beside the bigger cousin 8N. Shutting off the ignition, I climbed down from the platform and shut off the fuel line. Except for the near disaster it was a great experience. The more I use this Cub the better I like it.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google