Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Test Fuel Setup and Coil

The test fuel tank was in place and now the line is on the tractor. I put a petcock in the line so I can control fuel availability to the carburetor. On the carburetor itself there is a 5/16 threaded end to a ¼ inch hose attachment. Tomorrow I will add gasoline to the tank and start the Cub.

 

The coil on this Cub was attached to the inside of the hood. Since the hood is off, I cleaned the mud from the two 5/16X18 threaded holes on the distributor and made a mount for the coil. I had some left over 5/16 thick aluminum which I milled a bit to make it look nicer and get rid of some very ugly edges. I used an end mill to cut holes for bolts, then used a tap to clean out the two holes on the distributor and attached the mount and then the coil.

 

Original spark plug wires were dirty as well as yellow. I used a Dremel tool to clean inside the part which goes on the spark plug, and sand paper to clean the other end. The ohm meter showed the wires have about the same resistance. I will give them a try. To help further, I put dialectric grease on the threaded portion of the spark plugs and on the top of the plugs too.

 

 Water was low in the radiator so I added some up to about a half inch below the neck of the radiator. The over flow tube is broken away from the radiator. My soldering gun was not hot enough so the tractor will get to a local radiator mechanic. He can solder the tube and flush the radiator too.

 

The seat was reattached, tools were put away, and the charger was put on the battery. It is an automatic charger and probably has the battery fully charged by now.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google