Saturday, September 6, 2008

Farmall - More Finishing Touches

Yesterday morning I removed the Cub carburetor and carefully bent the part of the float which lifts the fuel needle valve. That stopped the fuel leak later when I started the engine again. After the carburetor tweak, I removed the gasket from the oil filter case and made a new gasket from some gasket material. I have three types and used the fiber material which is not spongy. That stopped the oil leak from the top of the case.

 

Next I received two packages with mostly electrical parts. The dust cover for the distributor came so I put that on. Light bulbs came so I decided to put them on. At the same time I cleaned the reflector edges more so good ground could occur. When I turned on the rear light, nothing happened. Using a multi-meter, I found the switch was good and the negative side of the circuit was good. It turned out to be the ground connection. Eventually I found that the post from the battery box on which the rear light mounts was grounded so it had to be somewhere on the light itself, probably the collar which attaches to the post. With sand paper and a round metal file, I removed rust and paint from mating surfaces and finally had a tail light working when the switch was turned on. The wires to the front lights are good. So far I have not determined whether the ground connection of the front lights is good although I can do that without mounting the hood on the tractor. I will probably do it just to be sure.

 

Today the spark plug wires will be removed, painted red, and inserted through the grommet atop the engine where they are supposed to be. Also, my home made battery box hold down devices will be painted – red, of course. The clutch may need adjustment, and the Cub needs to be lifted at the rear so I can test the brakes and adjust them properly. The Cub uses band brakes which should be easy to adjust. I have decided to let an expert silver solder the radiator over flow pipe.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google