Monday, September 1, 2008

Farmall Touch Control and test fuel tank

Much of the day was occupied creating a test fuel tank for the ’49 Cub. I used a piece of 2X4 for then base, then discovered the ½ inch bolts were too short so I sliced the 2X4 in half. Ultimately that resulted in the tank being almost ¼ inch too low so it rubs the throttle. I could shim the base, but it is easier to just raise the tank a tiny bit. Tomorrow I will run some fuel line and add the petcock to shut off fuel. The little lawn mower tank is plenty big enough for testing the Cub.

 

I cleaned the points in the distributor and used some white lithium grease to lubricate the cam and the pivot point of the points. I ordered the cover and gaskets for the points – they were missing. I do have a spare kit to refurbish the distributor. If need be I will use it.

 

The Touch Control is cleaned (a relative term), primed, painted, and now installed on the Cub. I cleaned the bolts and the sockets they enter using my taps and dies. Then, typically, I grease the threads using good lithium grease. It certainly makes it easier to remove the bolts later when I need to. The hydraulic lift is operated by the Touch Control. Once the engine is running, I can remove the test tank, put the hydraulic lift on the Cub and fill it, then put the Cub hood and its fuel tank back on the body of the Cub. I have a few electrical parts coming to refurbish the lights. Not more than an hour’s work – maybe.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google