Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday is Cub Day

Last Sunday afternoon, just before going off on my last TDY trip as an Army officer, I decided to adjust the carburetor on the ’49 Cub. The manual states it to be a simple job. Just turn the adjustment to one revolution, run the engine until it is warmed up, retract the throttle and then turn the adjustment either in or out until the Cub engine runs smoothly. Advance and retract the throttle to check the adjustment. Simple; however, the engine died and was difficult to start. Once again I had forgotten to pull on the ignition switch. Finally, after fiddling with the adjustment a while and getting the engine to stay running, I drove the tractor into my Tractor building and shut it down. I was quite concerned that I was going to have to push the Cub into its parking place which is difficult to do. Usually I use the 8N Ford to push the Cub into the building. Fortunately I did not have to.

 

Today, a week later, I had charged the battery, tightened the negative cable on the battery, and was ready to try again. Instead of pushing the tractor out of the building, I decided to start it in the building with the sliding door open. I pulled the ignition switch, pulled the choke to full on, and pulled the starter ring. The Cub started up in about four seconds. Putting the choke at half choke (the carburetor is designed for this) helped the engine to run as it warmed up. Then I pushed the choke off and listened to the engine run quietly under no load. No smoke from the exhaust and no roughness in the sound. I shut it down, happy as can be. We are approaching the end of the refurbishing. In the near future I will push the tractor into the yard, run the engine until it is warmed up, and again adjust the carburetor. Once it is okay, then the Cub will go to the radiator repair man for soldering the overflow tube into its place. Once that is done, he can flush the radiator. Only then will the hydraulics be put on, filled with hydraulic fluid, and tested. The fuel filter will go on the tank and the hood will be put back on the Cub. Finally, decals will be put on and the front lights will be tested. I may have to use the ground wires on the electrical cable if the lights are not adequately grounded though the hood and frame (hood supports?). I am about ready to find some implements!

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google