Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cub wheels

The past few days I have been working to remove the steering wheel of the ’49 Cub so I can replace it with a new steering wheel. First, I tried squirting it with Parts Blaster (PB) for a few days, several times a day. Then I tried striking the forward side of the spokes with a brass hammer. Finally I got some washers to protect the center of the steering column and used a two pronged gear puller and still more PB. The wheel is almost off. It is soaking in yet more PB. Later I think I can get it off.

 

The wheels are held on by 7/16X20 wheel bolts. Half of them are corroded near the hex head. If I can buy replacements, I will replace them. The better ones were all refurbished with a proper size die. I also used a tap to clean all ten bolt holes on the wheel hub. The lower set of bolts in the pictures shows the corrosion.

 

I used one of the bolts to provide leverage with a wooden 4X4 so I could remove the center cover and get to the cotter pin and nut holding the bearings in place. By removing the cotter pin I could easily unscrew the hex bolt to clean the inside of the hub as well as the bearings. The bearings, both inside and outside look good. The gap apparent on the inside bearing is the same on both right and left sides of the front wheels so I know it has not lost a roller. I watched how my father repacked wheel bearings by hand and used the same method to repack the bearings. Then I reassembled both hubs with bearings and plenty of grease, cleaned it all with kerosene, and painted with IH red from a rattle can. I am pleased with the work.

 

There is one place left to lubricate. It is the fan hub. The screw circled in the picture is supposed to be a hex head bolt. It will be removed if I can get it out. Then motor oil is inserted through the hole closed by the screw. The engine is rotated using the hand crank 9for my Ford tractors) until the hole is down at the bottom and any excess oil will drain out. I will replace the screw with a proper bolt and lubrication is done for now. Next will be to replace all the wiring.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google