Friday, August 15, 2008

Farmall Cub greasing efforts

Today I continued progress on the ’49 Farmall Cub. This morning at six a.m. I was out in my Tractor Building making a new gasket for the right rear wheel pan which I had removed, cleaned, and painted yesterday. This time, learning from the previous attempt, I used sharp scissors to cut out the gasket from the pencil marked material. Again it was glued to the metal using rubber cement. Also, yesterday, I removed the small plugs in the distributor and found that 1/8X27 NPT (fine?) grease zerk was just right. I bought one, greased the two parts, and replaced the plugs.

Before putting 90 weight gear oil in the two rear pans, I lay under the tractor and inserted the grease gun tube into the clutch housing then put several squirts of grease in the zerk located there. I hope I put in enough as I am not sure I saw where it came out. Once that was done I used a big half inch wrench to remove the filler plugs from the wheel areas above the pans. I made a filler funnel using some clear plastic tubing with ½ inch ID (shown in the picture with the filler plugs). Each pan received 1 ¾ pints of gear oil. The right one probably had ¼ that amount in it and it was again black as could be, just like the oil on the left.

It was a good day. I finished by removing the steering wheel nut and soaking the threaded portion with PB. So far it is stuck fast. There is a key that holds the steering wheel in one place on the shaft. A day or two of PB and brass hammer strikes may free the wheel so I can put on the new one. Once I get the old one off I will paint the new one red on the metal parts. Tomorrow is probably a good day to start replacing the electrical wiring. I have a new wiring harness and plenty of other wire, plus I have an ohm meter and confidence I can do this part well.

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google