Thursday, August 7, 2008

Farmall and 640 Ford

WEATHER!!

Last year we had a very wet Spring. The wind blew the tarp off the 640 Ford in the side yard and I ignored it, forgetting that the air cleaner had been removed for refurbishing. This Summer I removed the carburetor to refurbish it and discovered that water had entered it through the air cleaner air tube. Pic 1277-1282 show the sad condition of the old carburetor from that ’55 Ford tractor. I spent hours cleaning it inside and out. Pic 1283 and 1284 show the carburetor cleaned and ready to reassemble.

 

While waiting for the Ford 640 carburetor to get cleaned in the carb cleaner stuff, I worked on the ’49 Farmall Cub some more. The fuel tank came home cleaned and re-lined, but certainly needed painting. The shop used a torch to heat the metal so the liner goop would adhere better. Pic 1285 shows the hood and integral fuel tank as it came home. Pic 1296 shows the hood after some high quality rattle can paint from Tractor Supply. It looks very much better. I used the less expensive paint on the underside of the hood after using a steel brush and then some primer to prepare the surface. I used the steel brush on the back of the hood where the paint had been burned off.

 

The Cub air cleaner was removed (pic 1286). I cleaned it inside and out using kerosene and brushes, repainted it, made a new gasket from cork, and it is ready to return to the tractor.

 

Pic 1288, 1289, 1292 show the Cub without the hood and ready to be primed and painted. I actually used grey primer because I have a lot of it. I painted with the high quality Tractor Supply IH Red paint.  Pic 1293-1295 show the after paint work. The Cub looks good. It needs new wiring harness, more fluid change, and probably electrical tweaking. It is getting there!

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google