Saturday, August 23, 2008

still to come

The Cub:

Nearly done!!!

I could probably reinstall the steering wheel any time now.

Today I bought a set of proper spark plugs ( Champion D-21) and gapped them .024 which is close enough (I have seen anywhere from .023 to .025)

It is time to build a platform for the auxiliary fuel tank I got used today so I can test the Cub without installing the hood. I will make the platform of wood and mount it to the location where the hydraulic system should go. I need a shut off valve for the fuel and a means to attach to the carburetor. Not a difficult task to complete.

The commutator on the starter as well as the generator need cleaning, I am sure.

The valve gap needs to be measured and adjusted if needed.

The points want to be examined. I have replacement points and rotor.

I can buy a six volt battery from Car Quest. It will just fit and is a 650 CCA power house. It means getting a different ground wire and grounding to a different location than inside the battery box although it will just fit in there with the present location of the flat ground wire (inside the battery box).

The battery box is hoping for a sand blasting and new paint inside once I figure out how to remove it from the tractor.

The cable from battery negative to the starter switch needs to be re-routed beneath the platform where I sit. Now it is on top and was placed in the loops which are for the starting crank.

The bottom of the instrument panel seems torn and could stand to be brazed. I may let that go for now since it would mean disconnecting a lot of stuff to get it free of the tractor.

Once it is running, I will clean and install the hydraulic lift, called a Touch Control by IH. The touch control itself needs sand blasting and painting. The rest must be done by hand to prevent any fine sand from entering the hydraulic system which would eventually spell disaster.

 

Tractor Boy

No comments:

Google